Labels

Thursday, March 24, 2011

I’m still the fastest bowler in this World Cup: Akhtar




DHAKA: Shoaib Akhtar is itching to take the field against West Indies for the World Cup quarterfinal here at the Shere Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur but Pakistan’s team management is not interested in recalling the mercurial fast bowler.
Akhtar, who has decided to retire after the World Cup, needs three more wickets to reach the 250-mark in One-day Internationals but more than reaching that personal milestone, he wants one more chance to bow out in a blaze of glory.
But the team management including Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi has lost faith in the pacer after he bowled a series of full tosses to give away 28 runs in one over in his team’s 110-run loss against New Zealand earlier this month.
Akhtar has been sidelined since that horror show.
The Rawalpindi Express, according to team officials, remains upbeat in spite of the snub. “He (Shoaib) is behaving really well. He knows that our aim is to win the World Cup and that he doesn’t have a role in the current combination. He is very supportive and is giving the youngsters his advise and guidance,” said a team official.
Meanwhile, in an interview on Tuesday Akhtar declared that in spite of the snub he remains the fastest bowler in the tournament.
“I wanted to make way for the juniors, so even if I don’t get my 250th wicket it is fine. It will be dream to reach that landmark, but if I don’t get picked, there is not much I can do. I still remain the fastest bowler in this World Cup,” he said.
Akhtar said that he will accept the team management’s decision if it opts not to give him any more role in Pakistan’s title campaign.
“Pakistan winning the World Cup is far more important that reaching personal goals. For me, nation comes first. That’s the way I have been. So I will accept any team decision,” said Akhtar.
“There will be no sadness if I don’t play. I have had my time and it was my determination to play this World Cup which I have done. I was good enough to play for Pakistan again.
“I want to be born as a cricketer again. I am a true Pakistani who is honest and with a clear conscience. Even if I have pain in my bones, I will love to bowl fast once again,” he concluded.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

ChatBox

Blogger templates

Blogger news